Friday, August 12, 2005

Hearts and Hopkins

Oh be still my heart.

I just got through watching 'Hearts in Atlantis', courtesy of Comcast On-Demand. Did I tell you I gave up on Stephen King books quite a while ago? I don't know why, but they just stopped moving me. I stuck with him through the godawful 'Gerald's Game', and 'Dolores Claiborne', and even went as far as 'Rose Madder', but finally a girl's got to call a halt to the madness, you know? The plots, and worse still, the characters in his books had started to become old and stale and tired.

So along the way, I missed 'Hearts in Atlantis'.

I still don't know whether it's any good in book form. But the movie definitely made me want to go out and try it. Now how much of that is due to Stephen King's writing, and how much to the sublimely brilliant acting of arguably one of the best actors around has yet to be seen. Anthony Hopkins makes acting look like something anyone could do. He just seems to meld into whatever character he's portraying, and make it completely plausible.

It's strange how he seems to have improved with age, too. I remember seeing him oh so many years ago as Frederick Treeve in 'The Elephant Man', and not being unduly impressed by his acting. Although having said that, I have to add the caveat that next to John Hurt in that movie, anyone would have been less than impressive. But by the time he starred in the remake of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' with Mel Gibson, he was on his way to brilliant. His light as air touch in '64 Charing Cross Road' makes it still one of my all-time favorite movies. And who could deny his skill in movies such as 'Howard's End' or 'Remains of the Day', not to mention the brilliantly evil Dr. Hannibal Lecter in 'The Silence of The Lambs'.

A good SK movie and Anthony Hopkins...my cup runneth over :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home