Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Rhythm of the Rain....

My parents used to have a little folk wisdom in regards to bad events. Along with their "bad things come in threes" idea, there was another homily for bad events which didn't hold to the triad theory of arrival. "It never rains but it pours."

I never really understood that one as a kid. It wasn't until I was sitting in the middle of a dozen different things screaming for my attention - and my already-stretched-to-the-limit finances - that the comprehension came to me.

Bad enough that Azrael can't find a job that gives him more than 3 hours of work a week.

Bad enough that the insurance adjustor came to our house following a burst pipe which ruined the flooring in two rooms, and then decided that we had to repaint the shed and re-screen the back porch or they would cancel our home insurance.

Bad enough that it's that time of the year when jobs from The Big Office in New York are not as common, because of a lot of companies having vacations and not so many company events requiring the aid of a transcriptionist.

Bad enough that I had to pay $200 to buy screening material for the back porch, and now have to figure out how to cut it, staple it, and then buy replacement wood to cover the edges.

Bad enough that our brand new pool now has punctures on the edge because the two horses in the house decided that they had to see if the cats could swim. (Answer: Yes...cats can swim. Cats also tend to puncture the hell out of the inflatable ring at the top of the pool because even though they can swim, they DESPISE WATER)

All that is bad enough. But this morning I got a little package from the IRS to inform me that since my late husband took out a loan from his 401k in the amount of $43,500 the year before he died, we owe tax on this amount. Somewhere in the range of $3,500. Doesn't sound that much, until you figure out all the other expenditures we have at the moment.

Somebody get me an umbrella.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home